Any homeowner will tell you that taking care of your house is a never-ending task. However, it doesn’t have to be overwhelming. When you start noticing that your home is in need of repairs, don’t rush and start the work in sections.
Once your tasks have been broken down in sections, all it takes is a few hours a day, a few days a week to keep your house in good repair and looking great.
Some of the tasks that you will want to include in your regular maintenance schedule include:
Weekly Home Maintenance
Weekly tasks need to be handled on a regular basis and immediately. These important basics need to be performed routinely and should not be put off till a later date. Some of these tasks include:
- Vacuum, sweep and wash floors. This will prevent dirt from becoming ingrained and prevent surface damage.
- Clean your bathroom and pay special attention to the drains. A Zip-It tool is ideal for drain cleaning and removing trapped hair and other debris. Check the grouting and seal around the basins, bath tub, shower and toilet and repair it if necessary. Clean all your bathroom accessories separately and regularly with a clean cloth and the appropriate detergent.
Monthly Home Maintenance Tasks
It is recommended to set aside an entire day every month to take care of the following home maintenance tasks:
- Clean the range hood and the filters.
- Replace or clean the filters in the furnace (this will also help keep costs down).
- Check that smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working and replace the batteries if necessary
- Polish all wooden furniture and fixtures in the home.
- Check your fire extinguisher and ensure that it is charged.
- Inspect your home for issues such as insects, roof damage, damaged walls, overgrown trees and shrubbery and so on.
Catching these types of problems early on can mean the difference between a quick fix and an expensive repair. Don’t delay or postpone these tasks as they are only going to get worse.
Annual Home Maintenance Tasks
Once you have your regular weekly maintenance schedule in place and are managing the monthly tasks, it is time to focus on the annual jobs that need to be taken care of around the house. These tasks include:
- Window and screen washing to maximise natural lighting in your home.
- Organise and clean the cellar, loft, garage and other storage areas.
- Clean out the gutters and make repairs if necessary.
- Prune trees and shrubs.
- Spring clean every room in the house.
- Repaint if necessary.
- Wash, dry clean or replace curtains.
These tasks are going to determine how your house looks and whether it is in good repair which will in turn determine the value of your home. When it comes to annual maintenance, you don’t want to rush and ensure that you have sufficient time to inspect your home, find what needs to be done and do the work. If you need to make major repairs that will take an extended period of time, you may want to consider placing furniture and other household goods in self storage farnborough and surrounding areas.
It is also a good idea to set aside a few days for each annual project. Schedule the tasks to be performed at the same time every year for sustainable results. Prioritise which tasks are more important and attend to these first. This will ensure an efficient and well-conducted maintenance schedule.